- We require daily refuge permits (Migratory Bird Hunt Report, FWS Form 3–2361) and reservations (limited dates); we issue permits to hunters with a reservation for that hunt day or on a self-serve, first come/first served basis during part of the second split; permits are available on a self-serve basis during a portion of the second split. We require you to complete and return your permit in the slot provided at the Route 89 Hunter Check Station by the end of the hunt day; Tschache Pool hunters may turn in their permit using the mailbox at the north end of the dike .
- We allow hunting only on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays (hunting ends at 12:00 noon and you must be out of the hunting area by 1:00 PM each hunt day) during the established refuge season set within the New York State western zone season. We allow a youth waterfowl hunt on the Saturday during New York State’s established youth waterfowl hunt.
- We allow and encourage the use of motorless boats to hunt waterfowl; it is required for Tschache Pool. We limit hunters to one boat per reservation and one motor vehicle in the hunt area per reservation. You must launch your boat from your reserved/designated parking area; once on the water, you have free-roam. For your safety and a quality experience, maintain a safe distance from other hunting parties. You must be set up before legal shooting time (1/2 hour before sunrise).
- We require hunters to possess no more than 25 shells per hunter within the hunting areas (beyond the gates).
- We prohibit shooting from any dike or within 50 feet (15.2 meters) of any dike or road, or from within 500 feet (152.4 meters) of the Tschache Pool observation tower.
- We require proof of successful completion of the New York State Waterfowl Identification Course, the Montezuma Nonresident Waterfowl Identification Course, or a suitable nonresident State Waterfowl Identification Course to hunt in the refuge; all hunters must show proof each time they hunt or when asked by refuge staff and/or any law enforcement officer, in addition to showing their valid hunting license and signed Federal Migratory Bird Hunting and Conservation Stamp (Federal Duck Stamp).
- Advanced scouting of hunt units from the dikes/parking areas is permitted on September 28, 2019. Entry into the marshes is prohibited. Scouting permits will be available at the Route 89 Hunter Check Station on a self-serve basis.
RESERVATIONS for hunting spots are required for Youth, the entire first split and part of the second split (11/30/19 –
12/10/19). For the remainder of the season, permits will be available on a self-serve, first come/first served basis at the Route 89 Hunter Check Station. We limit each reservation/permit/hunting spot to parties of 2. Changes to the permit procedure may be made at the refuge manager’s discretion.
We allow up to: 20 spots per day for Tschache Pool; 6 spots per day for Sandhill Crane Unit; 6 spots per day for Kipp Island.
All hunters with reservations and their hunting companion must check in at the Route 89 Hunter Check Station area at least 1 hour before legal shooting time or forfeit their reservation. Forfeited reservations become available on a first-come, first-served basis to standby hunters at the Route 89 Hunter Check Station. During the self-serve portion of the second split, permits must be obtained at least 1 hour before legal shooting time.
CHECK-IN OPENS 1 ½ HOURS BEFORE SUNRISE.
You are permitted on the refuge for check-in no earlier than 2 hours before sunrise.
TELEPHONE RESERVATIONS ARE TAKEN FROM 8:30 AM TO 9:00 AM ON TUESDAYS, THURSDAYS AND SATURDAYS FOR THE NEXT HUNT DAY (call Tuesday to make a reservation for Thursday; call Thursday to make a reservation for Saturday; call Saturday to make a reservation for Tuesday).
RESERVATIONS FOR OPENING DAY will be taken Thursday, October 3, 8:30 – 9:00 am.
Reservations for the Saturday October 5 YOUTH HUNT will be taken
Thursday, September 26, 8:30 -9:00 am
The reservation telephone number is (315) 568-4136
Montezuma National Wildlife Refuge, (315) 568-5987 3395 US Route 20 East (Check Station is at 1095 Route 89), Seneca Falls, New York 13148